Wednesday, March 31, 2010

Jaywalking Kills (Suicide Pedestrians)

Crossing a street is simple but has certain rules to follow. I know we have lots of streets here in our country that does not have proper pedestrian crossings and stoplights. So I would like to focus on those intersections that do have those proper pedestrian crossings and signs.

One great example is those 4 lane roads with footbridges. We can't make foot bridges in every corner, so we put them to the most ideal places. But some Filipinos are so damn lazy that they don't want to walk a bit  further to be safe, instead they cross the street with cars blazing past them. This causes deaths to both pedestrians and vehicle owners. We made footbridges for

one reason, to be used by pedestrians in order to cross the street safely.

When I drive and see jaywalkers or pedestrians crossing illegally, I can't help to want to ram them and kill them. So one time I was really pissed that I tried to scare some pedestrians. I know I know, its not right, but damn it felt great. So here's what I did. I was along Taft avenue manila, and was about to pass Pedro Gil. Which we all know has so many people crossing. They do have stop lights there and also pedestrian lights. My lights were green but they kept on crossing the street. I did not reduce my speed and push my breaks hard to act like I'm going to ram them. And some jumped so high when they saw me coming. Maybe they'll learn something!

What's irritating is that these "Jaywalkers" don't give a damn if they cause traffic or stop you abruptly. We don't have strong and strict rules to protect motorists from these pedestrians. I can think of some great laws that can solve our pedestrian problems. First, there should be a huge fine for illegal pedestrian crossing or J walking. But many politicians have tried this before.  

"In 1965, then Manila Mayor Antonio Villegas waged a campaign against jaywalkers to restore order in main city streets." Image and quote from http://video48.blogspot.com









"In 2000 some local government passed a by-law that  gives offenders two choices: either pay a fine of 50 pesos (just over $1) or sing the national anthem with their hand on their heart" Image and quote from http://news.bbc.co.uk


So I feel that the most effective way is to let the pedestrians know their responsibilities or consequence for their actions. If a pedestrian is involved in an accident while crossing a street illegally(Jay walking), he/she should be liable for the damages he/she might have caused the vehicle owner. With these by-laws we will have no more Jaywalkers and suicide pedestrians.
Related Posts with Thumbnails