Tuesday, March 30, 2010

Warrant of Arrest (My Worst Accident)

The warrant of my arrest was issued because I was not knowingly sued for reckless Imprudence resulting to damage of property and physical injuries. But before that I'll talk about what happened before my warrant of arrest.

It was someone’s birthday and I was invited for a dinner at Fort Bonifacio, Taguig around September 2005. The past few days before the incident I was going home really late. So I though of going home a bit early this time. Went home11:30pm. Now, come Araneta ave. and was going to pass Del Monte intersection, I looked at the stoplight, it was green, so I did not reduce my speed, which was 70 kph. When suddenly at the middle of the intersection I saw a bright light approaching from my side. Then…


BOOM! A car collided with me. Then there was a moment of silence when I was flying through the Air.... Which was a bit cool. The whole time I was “airborne” I was saying the “Shit” so many times. Then I hit the ground with the driver’s door first. I can feel my arm hitting the pavement while the car was skidding down the road. Then it stopped.

People started going to the car, so I shouted “tulong(help)”. Someone replied “teka lang(wait)”. So someone opened the passenger side door cause it was the one on top. They helped me up and removed my seatbelt. When I got out, I told the guy who helped me up to get my phone, wallet and to turn off the engine. Because I can smell diesel all over. I was really bleeding and really thought there was a crack on my head. I went to the car who hit me, to check on him but was told that he was rushed to the hospital. So I have to call my parents. BUT I have no prepaid Load! So I tried to borrow a phone from some of the bystanders. So called my parents and then called a taxi to go to the nearest hospital.

The driver who hit me had 13 stitches on his forehead (he was not wearing a seatbelt). Good thing I had only 3 on my eyebrow, which I am thankful considering the damage the caused my car. So WEAR YOUR SEATBELT. IT HELPS!

After the accident, the father of the driver involved called us, he said that if we could tell our insurance company that it was our fault. This is because our insurance can cover all of the damages of both parties and their's cannot. They'll have to pay for all the damages themselves. Although we felt bad for them, we DID NOT AGREE. We could be blacklisted by the insurance company if they found out. Then he threatened to sue us. But at that time we never experienced any lawsuits so we just ignored his threat.

After months, a letter was mailed to us saying that I have a WARRANT OF ARREST. That I did not show up for TWO hearings. But we did not receive any letter? I said to myself that day that I would fight this till the end because I know I did nothing wrong. When our attorney showed us what they found, the driver license was expired, the car was not even named to them, and the deed of sale was the exact date of the accident which was fishy and looks fake and also with some other documents. So I was assuming that my case a sure win.

The process was slow, the attorney said that its better to settle considering our insurance company is willing to pay maximum of Php200,000. I guess even my attorney wants things finished fast. Because they say that if you continue you would spend more rather than settling. TRUTH and JUSTICE is expensive!

Philippine’s justice is pain in the ass. Anyway we settled 160k with that a-hole family. But the insurance company paid for everything including our car. But damn it’s not fair!

Lesson: If you're crossing an intersection, specially big intersections, SLOW DOWN. Even if the stoplight is green, even if there's no cars in front, just SLOW DOWN. You'll never know what can happen. If ever you are involved in a major accident, I suggest sue them first, because you’ll get the upper hand. Better to be sure than sorry.

Related Posts with Thumbnails